It’s that time again…our Beauty Detox Blogger recipe assignment!
This week’s recipe was inspired by our Beauty Detox for fitness post yesterday. I wanted to be give another easy option to whip up as a snack or post-workout, if you want to up your protein intake.
It’s full of beautifying, strengthening spirulina — which brings a host of amazing benefits, including:
- Supports cardiovascular, eye and brain health, boosts immunity and energy.
- It is one of the most complete food sources in the world with over 100 nutrients, 60% protein content
- Contains the highest levels of carotenoids
- High in antioxidants known to promote health and longevity
- Excellent protein and nutrient source for those on a plant-based diet
One brand you can find in many places is the only Spirulina farm in Hawaii, called Nutrex and can also be found here. That company has been cultivating Spirulina continuously for over 25 years with Hawaiian deep sea water containing 94 trace minerals in a BioSecure zone free from pollution.
I think spirulina is so pretty! It can be an acquired taste, but with the right combination of ingredients, it will balance nicely.
But first, let’s not give a nod to those who participated in last week’s recipe assignment! Everyone who participated did such a lovely job, it was really beautiful and inspiring to see.
Below are some of our faves:
A. Marlene Martinez - www.julybody.com
B. Christine – www.findingmyfit.org
C. Jen Colombo – www.jensfoodchallenge.blogspot.com
D. Amanda Schaller - www.thesweetswiss.com
Amazing job, ladies! You really rocked this week — all of you who took part– and please know that the process you’re using to remix these recipes each week can be used on ANY recipe. Yes, that includes any of the recipes you’d find in The Beauty Detox Solution and The Beauty Detox Foods! So this can be an opportunity to go back into the books and try out your own versions of the recipes there as well!
Now, before we go into this week’s recipe assignment, let’s cover the guidelines:
Also, at the beginning, I gave you an example of a good company from a pure region in Hawaii to use for spirulina. If you use another brand, be sure that it’s certified organic, is tested to be free of heavy metals, stored in a container that does not allow light to enter (the delicate antioxidants and essential fatty acids are light-sensitive!), and then store in a cool, dry place.
All clear? Great! Now, let’s go into the actual recipe…
Spirulina Power Protein Smoothie (serves 1)
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ tsp spirulina powder
- 2 small ripe bananas, or 1 large ripe banana
- 1 serving raw vegan protein powder*
* I like the Garden of Life brand. It’s my fave. They use all non-GMO, organic protein sources. Here’s I’m using the vanilla flavor, but I like the plain one also. For Garden of Life, 1 serving is 3 Tbs.
- stevia if you need/want sweeter
- 1 tsp. of bee pollen, for added B vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids and vitamins
Blend everything together in your blender, preferably a Vitamix. Drink fresh!
Now It’s Your Turn–Let’s See Your Variation of the Power Protein Smoothie!
Here are the next steps to make this recipe your own:
1) Try out this recipe with the ingredients that you have in your kitchen now. You can use spirulina, or you can come up with something else to include, if you don’t have it.
2) When you make your own version, be sure to write down the ingredients, take pictures and turn it into a simple blog post. Hopefully by now, you’re getting the hang of this! If this is your first attempt, you can take inspiration from all the other girls who have been doing this and having a blast each week!
Once your blog post is live, be sure you share it — while linking back to this post, with the original recipe idea.
3) Be sure to also post your recipe post into the Private Facebook group, so that we and others can see it. We’ll like or share or comment on all recipes that you send our way, to support you and show the community your amazing work.
4) Also, email the link to Katelyn, our community manager, at beautydetoxgirl (@) gmail dot com with a link to your post so she can keep track.
5) Share your post on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram — and be sure to hashtag #beautydetoxrecipe so that others can find it.
Again, don’t forget again to link back to this specific blog post, so we can find you and also because it holds the integrity of the process; and be sure to use the hashtag #beutydetoxrecipe as we do NOT want to miss your post, we look at every single one! :)
I hope you’re staying active this summer, and that this recipe helps fuel your health and activity even further!
See you back here soon! And if you haven’t already, please be sure to join my Instagram handle (@_kimberlysnyder) for lots of food, yoga and inspiring posts daily.
With great love,