Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. They feature a perfect balance of essential fatty acids: 30% of chia seed oil is Omega 3 oil and 40% is Omega 6 oil. Studies also show that eating chia seed slows down our bodies’ conversion of carbohydrate calories into simple sugars. This is great for preventing spikes in blood sugar, whether you are diabetic or not.
Chia seeds are also highly hydrophilic, capable of absorbing 10-15 times their weight in water, and of great help in keeping bodies hydrated. Chia seeds gel when wet and, when in our digestive systems, this gel prevents absorption of some of the food (and calories) that we eat. This makes the chia seed a great helper for those of us looking to lose weight!
This little treat is super filling, and if you sweeten it enough, can even make for a great dessert.
Ingredients (Yields 1 serving):
- ¼ cup raw, organic chia seeds
- 1 cup of Homemade Almond of Hazelnut Milk, or if it’s not possible to make it, use a store-bought unsweetened brand
- ½ Tbs. raw cacao powder
- Stevia or xylitol to sweeten
- Place chia seeds in a bowl.
- Blend the almond milk, cacao powder and stevia or xylitol in the blender until mixed well and desired level of sweetness is reached. Pour over chia seeds and mix well.
- Let stand for at least 15 minutes before mixing again and serving.