Millet is a Beauty Detox grain because it is gluten-free, is packed with minerals such as calcium, magnesium and manganese, and is a great source of plant-based protein. It supplies B1 which is important for energy and a healthy nervous system, and is rich in fiber.
This is a yummy salad that makes great leftovers to pack for work or to nibble on throughout the week.
Ingredients (6+ servings):
- 2 cups dry millet
- 1/3 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup drainer capers
- ¼ cup scallions
- ¾ cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped purple cabbage
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs minced shallot
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ cup olive oil
- High quality sea salt, to taste
Pre-Prep: Be sure to soak the millet overnight in water and rinse well before using.
- In a saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat, then add the millet and simmer until the millet has cooked to a softer texture- around 15-20 minutes. Pour through a strainer and set to the side to cool down.
- Blend all the dressing ingredients together until smooth in a blender, or simply add them to a bowl and whisk well with a fork.
- Add the millet to a large mixing bowl, then pour the dressing on top, and add the olives, capers, scallions, parsley, tomatoes and purple cabbage. Mix well and enjoy your delicious meal that will evoke memories or images of the beautiful Mediterranean part of the world!