Who said healthy raw snacks and meals had to be time consuming? This is a really fast little dish when you are on the go or Hungry with a capital H! It is a great idea to always keep one of those bags they sell sealed with three heads of romaine lettuce for this very reason. I used to nibble on a variety of this as a snack when I worked at a raw food longevity center in New York and was taking a break. A few of them also makes a great lunch!
Ingredients (serves about 2) :
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 1 large avocado
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ of a cucumber, chopped
- 1 Tbs. sweet white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Handful of clover sprouts
- Slice the avocados lengthwise and remove pit. Scoop out the green avocado flesh and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and sprinkle some cayenne pepper in there, and “mash” the avocados up, using a fork. Make as smooth or as chunky as you like (Hint: do you like pureed or chunky soup?)!
- Add the chopped tomatoes, cucumber and sweet white onion, and mix well.
- Chop the hard end of the romaine head off so the leaves fall off intact.
- Scoop some of the mixture onto each leaf, and top with some of the clover sprouts.
- Roll each side of the leave in towards the middle, and enjoy!