Happy holidays everyone!! With only a few weeks left until Christmas, are you scrambling to buy gifts for your friends and family? If you are, then I have some great suggestions for you.
Conscious Gift Giving
I’m not a fan of the big, national box stores. Many of these places rely on cheap labor from foreign countries. Others sell products with toxic ingredients that don’t support health or wellness. That’s why I encourage you to make conscious choices during your holiday shopping. Some suggestions for shopping during the holidays:
- If you can, buy local. Purchasing items from local businesses supports your local economy.
- Purchase fair trade items. These products may be produced overseas, by they are created in a conscious way by workers that have been paid a fair, non-exploitative salary.
- Whenever possible, choose natural. Select natural fibers and materials. If you are purchasing cosmetics or food for others, make sure the ingredients aren’t derived from petrochemicals or other unnatural products. On the other hand, don’t buy makeup brushes made from animal hair or bristles.
- Give gifts that support health. A well-chosen and thoughtful gift can help your loved ones find ways to relax, tune in, and make healthier choices.
- Go organic. Choose beauty products, food items, and fabrics that are made from plants grown without pesticides.
10 Top Picks for Holiday Gifts
Here are my top picks for the holidays.
- Vitamix blender: Think a kitchen gift isn’t a romantic gift? Think again! Give the gift of health this year. These blenders are custom made to order at the Vitamix factory, and I’ve never seen any other blender that can do what a Vitamix (price varies) does. It just takes seconds to blend a GGS or any other type of smoothie, and the mixture is completely pureed without any chunks. The Vitamix also is great for making sauces and blended soups. If you know someone who is trying to improve their health by incorporating more raw fruits and vegetables, the Vitamix is the perfect gift.
- Sally B’s Skin Yummies (5% off code: beauty): I came across this line of cosmetic products when I received some lip gloss in a gift bag, and I quickly became a huge fan. All of Sally B’s products are made from organic, natural, wild-crafted ingredients. The lip gloss ($18) makes a great stocking stuffer, or you can give multiple colors as a set. Give the gift of pretty lip and chemical-free gift care. I also love Sally B’s newest product, Skin Booster ($30). You can add a little bit of this antioxidant vitamin C/resveratrol powder to your favorite moisturizer to give your skincare regime a potent boost! I also love the Lavender Sugar Body Scrub ($32), which polishes and exfoliates with a yummy lavender aroma. This scrub also comes in lemongrass and peppermint.
- Other products from Sally B’s include:B Fizzed Bath Bombs ($8) in green tea-lemongrass or lavender grapefruit, as well as the Organic Peppermint Feet Treats ($16) that soothe tired feed and relieve dryness and cracking, especially in the winter. They come in an adorable “foot” shape.
- See Your Impact: I love this concept for a holiday gift. Give a gift in someone’s honor to make the world a better place. Give a Gardens of Health donation for $25 to provide sproutings, tools, fertilizer, advocacy, and training to provide a sustainable garden for a family. Best, you can see your donation at work, because See Your Impact will send you a photo and story about the family you help. For people who want to change the world but don’t know where to start, See Your Impact allows you to make a difference – one person at a time.
- Burt Bee’s Natural Skincare for Men: These 100 percent natural products protect his health and the environment. Packaging is environmentally friendly, and ingredients are natural and organic. Try the Natural Skin Care for men line, which includes bar soap ($4), body wash ($8), after shave ($8), and shave cream ($8).
- Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynn: This is one of the best books I’ve read in a while. I kept it in my purse and read most of it on the subway! It explains how the United States came into being, and describes tumultuous times between indigenous Native populations and white settlers. This eloquently written and fascinating insight into our country’s history makes a great gift for the readers in your life.
- Yoga Pass: Visit your local studio and pick up a yoga pass for your loved ones. Most studios offer gift certificates. What better way to let people know you care than by providing the gift of health, stress reduction, and inner peace?
- The Beauty Detox Solution: Do you know someone that is seeking a healthier more vital 2012? Pick up a copy of The Beauty Detox Solution at your local bookstore.
- Community Supported Agriculture: Give the gift of fresh, seasonal, organic vegetables by providing a CSA membership. Prices vary according to the community. You can find a CSA membership in your area by visiting LocalHarvest.org.
Those are my top ten holiday gift ideas to bring health and light to your loved ones. I wish you all a truly wonderful and blessed holiday season. Love to all.