I am actually writing this on the plane to Atlanta! There is Wi-Fi on this flight, which is so convenient. There is a movie shooting down there that I’m helping out with, so I’ll be there for a few weeks.
Anyways! I wanted to talk about this wonderful Coconut Green Smoothie I’ve been making this week. I love young coconuts- and I have virtually lived off them when traveling through SE Asia, French Polynesia and certain countries in the Carribbean and Central/South America. When using them in smoothies, put sure to use both the meat and the water. The water is full of potassium and electrolytes, and is extremely hydrating and balancing. The soft meat is full of natural beauty fat, which is cholesterol-free and contains beneficial Lauric Acid, which supports our thyroid. It is easily digestible and all around great for the skin!
The Coconut Green Smoothie is great for athletes and when you want something a little denser- as it has all that beauty fat. I recommend drinking this after a workout, occasionally when we want a heavier breakfast, or a liquid lunch. To be clear, this smoothie in NO way replaces our regular Glowing Green Smoothies, which contains non-fat fruit and celery, etc. and is much more cleansing and created for daily use.
- 1 young coconut
- 3 cups baby spinach
- [br]Step 1: Crack open your young coconut with a cleaver. Many people like to “shave” the top off, but I like to make the traditional “box” opening that I saw hundreds of times in Asia. Look here! I did it in 4 clean swipes. I wanted to brag just a tiny bit, to make up for my rather abysmal young coconut opening demonstration video! If you want to see, check it out HERE.[br]
- [br]Step 2: Pour the coconut water in your blender. Spoon out the meat and add to the blender as well. Because of the shape of coconuts, you may want to get a spoon with a handle on a diagonal like the one I have here. I love this spoon! This one did make it back all the way from Thailand with me one trip. But they sell them in Asian markets and I’ve seen them in Chinatown for $0.70. Very useful!!!![br]
- Step 3: Blend the coconut water and meat on its own until smooth.[br]
- [br]Step 4: Add 3 cups of baby spinach, or 3 huge handfuls.[br]
- Step 5: Blend and serve! That is it! Young coconut and spinach. It needs nothing else at all. I love simplicity sometimes. There is no need to complicate this smoothie or add anything else.
How does it taste??
It is absolutley YUMMY!!!!!!
Try it for yourself. This is a wonderful smoothie to add to your repertoire this Spring.
Let me know how you do!
Lots of love, Kimberly