Since I’m staying at a hotel for 8 days, one of the most important things for us is to pick out a room with a mini fridge. I actually consider it essential! While I can’t eat exactly how I do at home, it helps keep me from getting very far off track at all!! For this amount of time, if I can’t be sure that I’ll have access to getting Green smoothies and drinks, I’d rather make sure that I can. I have no qualms about checking in all my luggage and bringing a large purse with books and a separate carry on for my blender or juicer on the plane. To me, it is SO worth it, because when I am eating well I am feeling great. And I want to feel great when I’m traveling! I probably wouldn’t do this internationally, but domestically sure! Actually- maybe I would carry kitchen equipment internationally, depending on where.
Sure there are dinners out that we all like to have when we are away. But at least I can control breakfast and snacks/meals during the day, and not have to resort to heavy hotel breakfasts that get the day started off wrong and heavy!
Here are the essential things that I love to keep in the mini fridge (even if you don’t bring your blender) :
- A bag or box of triple washed spinach. You can literally stick it on a paper plate and slice up avocado on it, with a squeezed lemon. This is great for a healthy lunch, or a light dinner if you were out all day long and just want to chill at your hotel with a healthy meal.
- Along with that, lemons and avocados. And you can always make a variation of my taco salad recipe with avocados and other greens.
- Unsweetened almond milk, which you can pick up at good ‘ol TJ’s. Great for adding a dallop to some herbal tea to feel nice and satisfied at night.
- Baby carrot sticks to snack on.
- Celery sticks, which you can snack on to get something alkaline in your stomach first even if you know you are going out and eating a heavy dinner. Better to start a meal with that than nibble on too much table bread when you are waiting on your dinner and hungry!
- Fruit galore!! Organic plums, apples, pineapple chunks, etc.
So next time you are on the road, you might want to check with your hotel and find a room with a little, life-saving mini fridge. I hope you had a great Halloween and weekend. Have a great beginning of your week!
Talk to you soon. xx Kimberly