I thought I would post a cacao recipe with Valentine’s Day around the corner…an excellent excuse to remember to bring more chocolate into your life!!! But raw chocolate - not the kind with processed sugar and pasteurized dairy. Sorry!! Kit Kat bars and Mars bars and stuff like that are NOT acceptable. But trust me, with this recipe you won’t want that crap anyway! Your cravings will be totally satisfied and you’ll feel great.
Cacao promotes feelings of love and joy and opens up the energy of the heart chakra. It contains the neurotransmitter anandamide known as the “bliss chemical.” In yoga, ananda means bliss. Even better- cacao ALSO contains anandamide inhibitors, keeping the compound from breaking down quickly and the feeling of cacao anadamide lasting longer, so we feel great longer!
This is not to say that we should eat cacao often- and certainly not every day! It is a very occasional treat. Cacao contains caffeine, and toxic compounds such as theobromine. It has taken off in the raw food world because it tastes good and people want so badly to believe it is good for them, since it is a tasty treat. But the reality is that we do not need it at all in the diet for nutritive value- it is a treat and must be treated as such!
That being said, here is the recipe for your occasional truffles, for special times like this- Valentine’s Day!
Make for your loved ones, friends, and yourself.
Lots of love!
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder (available at health stores)
- 2 cups ground raw almonds (preferably sprouted then dried first)
- ½ cup raw organic honey
- 1 Tbs. organic coconut oil
- Pinch of Celtic sea salt
- 1 cup shredded, dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- Combine all the ingredients except for the coconut flakes in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Roll up your sleeves, take a small amount of the mixture, and roll small balls between your palms. Add your love!
- Dip each ball in a separate smaller bowl containing the coconut flakes.
- Freeze overnight to harden the truffles. I keep them frozen until they are ready to serve.